Become a CVR tester

The RSA is responsible for granting authorisation to become a new CVR Tester and for amending authorisations to ad​d addi​tional test categories. Find out more about the authorisation process.

What is required for authorisation as a new CVR Tester 

For applicants for Authorisation as new CVR Testers the following qualifications/experience requirements apply.

Qualifications/Experience​ Requirements​
New CVR Tester applicants who have an Advanced Certificate Craft, National Craft Certificate or an equivalent qualification from another country to at least level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) or a Senior Trade Certificate or Record of Attainment from the Further Education and Training Authority (SOLAS) demonstrating competencies equivalent to the standards for a National Craft Certificate in the skill area of Light Vehicle, HGV, Agricultural or Construction Mechanic. 
  1. Evidence from your employer that you have at least 12 month’s work(18 months if your are applying to test HCV's and your qualification is in Light Commercial Vehicles) experience repairing and maintaining a HCV or an LCV
  2. Be nominated by a CVR Test Operator to become a CVR Tester.
  3. The Road Safety Authority must be satisfied that applicants are ‘fit and proper persons’
New ADR/Tractor (category T vehicles) Tester applicants applying for an amendment to their authorisation to conduct ADR/Tractor (category T) tests must have been authorised to test HCV vehicles for at least one year​ immediately preceding their commencement of the relevant training course with the nominated training provider. 
  1. Be nominated by a CVR Test Operator to become an ADR/Tractor tester.
  2. The Road Safety Authority must be satisfied that applicants are ‘fit and proper persons’

Further information on the training courses can be found in our training section.

How to apply for authorisation as a new CVR Tester

  • To apply please download and complete the 
    Application form for Authorisation as a new CVR Tester.​​​​
  • Part A of this form should be completed by the person applying for Authorisation.
  • Part B should be completed by authorised CVR test operator nominating the applicant for a place on a CVR Tester training course.
  • Please ensure you enclose all necessary supporting documents by ticking on the checklist on page 2 of the application form.

Where to apply?

Send the completed form to:
CVR Authorisations Section, 
Commercial Vehicle Testing, 
Road Safety Authority, 
Clonfert House,
Bride Street, 
Co. Galway 
H62 ET93​​​

Following Authorisation.

Following Authorisation CVR Testers will be subject to ongoing supervision by the RSA. 

For additional information please contact


Chat to Chris!