Operator Licensing requirements

The Department of Transport​ issue and maintain operator licenses.

Road Haulage Operator’s Licence

You need a Road Haulage Operator’s Licence if you are carrying goods for hire or reward in a vehicle or combination of vehicles the maximum authorised weight of which is in excess of 3.5 (metric) tonnes.

"Hire or Reward" haulage arises when you are paid for carrying someone else's goods. If you do only own account work, i.e. carriage of your own goods in your own vehicles driven by yourself or your employees, or in the delivery of goods to a customer who has bought those goods from you, then you do not need a Road Haulage Operator’s Licence.

Road Passenger Transport Operator Licence 

You need a Road Passenger Transport Operator's Licence if you are carrying passengers by road for hire or reward in vehicles constructed and equipped so as to be suitable for carrying nine or more passengers.

"Hire or Reward" arises when you are paid for carrying passengers. If carrying passengers is not y​​our main business, and if you are not charging your passengers a fee, then you do not need a Licence.

For example, a hotel that owns a bus that it uses to ferry its guests, as a complimentary service, to and from an airport or tourist attractions, would not need a Licence.

Making a Confidential Complaint/Report

If you have concerns that an operator or driver may be acting illegally in relation to Vehicle Roadworthiness, Drivers Hours, Tachographs and/or Unlicensed Haulage your can submit a confidential complaint to the RSA. Find out how to submit your complaint on our complaints page. ​

RSA Prosecutions 

The RSA is responsible for enforcing EU and national transport legislation on the licensing of road haulage and passenger operators to engage in hire and reward operations. In circumstances where a person or operator is convicted of a Road Transport Related Offence, details of the conviction (including name and penalty applied) are published on the Prosecutions section of the RSA website​​. 

Further information

If you have any queries in relation to applying for a 

  • Road Haulage Operator’s Licence
  • Road Passenger Transport Operator’s Licence

Please contact:

Road Transport Operator Licensing Unit
Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport 
Bride Street, Loughrea, Co. Galway. H62 ET93

Telephone Lo-call: 091 872 950 or 076 1001 601

Email: rtol@dttas
Website: www.rtol.ie 

Related Content

Chat to Chris!