Page Content

All operators of Heavy Commercial Vehicles (HCVs) are required by law to make an online ‘Self-Declaration’ to the RSA in relation to their Heavy Goods Vehicles, Goods trailers, Buses and Ambulances.

How to complete your annual self-declaration

To complete and submit your Self-Declaration to the RSA, you will need to register with us online. You only need to register once and you will then be able to log in to your ‘CVRT Online Account’.

To register online you will need to provide:

  • An email address
  • A mobile phone number
  • Your Company Registration number – if you are a registered company with the Companies Registration Office Ireland
  • Your PPSN and Date of Birth – if you are a sole trader, partnership, or private individual

If you hold a Road Transport Operator Licence, you will also need to include your licence number and the VIN/Chassis number of just one of your HCVs on that licence. This will save the need to manually input the details for all HCVs on your licence. Based on your licence number, our system will automatically upload them to your CVRT Online Account for you. 
                                                                      CVRT Register

Once Registered as an operator with the RSA you can simply log in to your CVRT Online Account and submit your Self-Declaration by clicking on the Self-Declaration button.

                                                                        Self Declaration Button

There is no charge to register with us for your CVRT Online Account and to submit your Self-Declaration.

Benefits of having your CVRT online account.

Use your CVRT Online Account to manage your vehicle records online, quickly and conveniently.

With your CVRT Online Account you can:

  • View your vehicle information online including test reports, pass statements, roadside/premises inspection reports, and CRW details.
  • Receive alerts and reminders about your vehicles
  • Book commercial vehicle tests
  • Apply for ADR certificates and replacement CRWs
  • Upload additional vehicle documentation (that can be accessed for vehicle testing and reduce the need for paperwork at test time)
  • Add or remove vehicles from your CVRT Online Account and Self-Declaration.

Information you need to include on the self-declaration.

The information to be provided in your declaration includes the following:

  • Your operator name, contact information, and depot locations
  • Service sector you operate in (Passenger or Goods/Haulage)
  • Where you operate your vehicles (Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, International)
  • What your vehicles are used for (type of passenger services provided or type of goods transported)
  • Vehicle details for all HCVs – including vehicle registration number, VIN/Chassis number (last 4 digits only), vehicle status
  • Maintenance and repair procedures you have in place for your vehicles
  • Inspection routines you have in place for your vehicles (driver walk-around checks)
  • Declaration (as the operator) that you will maintain and test commercial vehicles in accordance with the Road Safety Authority (Commercial Vehicle Roadworthiness) Act 2012 (PDF).

When should you submit a Self-Declaration?

Since June 2014, the law states that all Heavy Commercial Vehicle operators must now make a Self-Declaration to the RSA. For details of the legislation, see SI No 348 of 2013 - Road Safety Authority (Commercial Vehicle Roadworthiness) (Vehicle Repair and Maintenance) Regulations 2013 (PDF).

You must submit a Self-Declaration online every year. If you do not submit a Self-Declaration to the RSA, an Enforcement Officer may issue an infringement when detected at premises inspections.

Making an online Self-Declaration each year will improve your operator risk rating with the RSA.

Private use of Heavy Commercial Vehicles

The legal requirements as regards maintenance and self declaration of a vehicle are based on the vehicle type (for example, bus, HGV truck , rigids , van) rather than the use of a vehicle ( private or commercial).

So, even if you have a horse lorry which is used purely for social and leisure purposes you are still required to complete a self declaration and have an appropriate vehicle maintenance regime in place so as to ensure the roadworthiness of your vehicle while it is being used on a public road.

No Longer Trading/Operating Heavy Commercial Vehicles?

If you are no longer trading or perhaps no longer operate HCV’s, you can notify us online by logging into your CVRT Account. This means we can review and update our records to ensure we have the correct information on our system and remove you from any targeting campaigns or inspections​. Your should be aware that if you are encountered by the RSA operating a HCV, for example via a roadside encounter, then this will result in you being considered a HCV Operator and our records will be amended accordingly.

Difficulties registering or completing Self-Declaration?

If you are having any difficulties with completing your registration or self-declaration then please contact our helpdesk.

Tel: +353 1 963 5149

Monday - Friday (excluding Public and Bank Holidays) 07:30 - 18:00
Saturdays 08:00 to 12:00


You will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your email from a ‘no-reply’ email address. We will be in touch with you in due course.

Queries about self declaration?

If you would like further information about Self-Declaration to the RSA, please contact us via phone or email.

Tel: 091 872 600
Monday - Friday (excluding Public and Bank Holidays)



Related Content

Chat to Chris!